64. Toulmin, P. III, A.K. Baird, B.C. Clark, K. Keil, H.J.
Rose, R.P. Christian, H.P. Evans and W.C. Kelliher, "Geochemical and
Mineralogical Interpretation of the Viking Inorganic Chemical Results,"
J. Geophys. Res.
, 82, 4625, 1977.
66. Flam, F., "The Chemistry of
Life at the Margins,"
, 265, 471, 1994.
67. Friedmann, E.I. and R. Ocampo, "Endolithic Blue-Green Algae
in the Dry Valleys: Primary Producers in the Antarctic Desert Ecosystem,"
, 193, 1247, 1976.
Kjelleberg, S., M. Hermansson and P. Mardin, "The Transient Phase Between
Growth and Nongrowth of Heterotrophic Bacteria with Emphasis on the Marine
Ann. Rev. Microbiol.
, 41, 25-47, 1987.
69. Potts, M., "Desiccation Tolerance of
Prokaryotes," Microbiol. Revs.
, 58, 755, 1994.
70. Gest, H. and J. Mandelstam, "Longevity of Microorganisms in
, 4(3), 69, 1987.
71. Gilichinsky, D.A., E.A. Vorobyova, L.G. Erokhina,
D.G. Fyordorov-Dayvdov and N.R. Chaikovskaya, "Life Science and Space
Research XXIV(3): Planetary Biology and Origins of Life, Proceedings of
the Topical Meeting of COSPAR Interdisciplinary Scientific Commission F
(Meetings F7, F1, F8 and F9) and Evening Session 1 of the COSPAR
Twenty-eighth Plenary Meeting,"
Adv. Space Res.
, 12(4), 255,
72. Cano, R.J. and M.K. Borucki,
, 268, 1060, 1995.
74. Grunthaner, F.J., A.J. Ricco,
M.A. Butler, A.L. Lane, C.P. McKay, A.P. Zent, R.C. Quinn, B.R. Murray,
H.P. Klein, G. V. Levin, R.W. Terhune, M.L. Homer, A. Ksendzov and P.
, in press, 1995.
75. Suggested by G.V. Levin, conducted by A. Ksendzov, MOx Team
members, as part of MOx development program, Apr., 1993.
76. Goldsmith, D.,
The Hunt for Life on Mars
, p. 188,
Dutton, NY, 1997.
77. Levin, G. V., and P. A.
Straat, "Laboratory Simulations of the Viking Labeled Release Experiment:
Kinetics Following Second Nutrient Injection and the Nature of the Gaseous
J. Mol. Evol
., 4, 185-197, 1979.
78. Levinthal, E.C., K.L. Jones, P. Fox and C. Sagan, "Lander
Imaging As A Detector Of Life On Mars,"
J. Geophys. Res
79. Levin, G.V., P.A. Straat
and W.D. Benton,
J. Theoret. Biol.
, 75, 381-390, 1978.
80. Guinness, E., R. Arvidson, L. Geheret and L.
Bolef, "Color Changes at the Viking Landing Sites over the Course of a
Mars Year," NASA Technical Memorandum 80339, 1979.
81. Strickland, E. L. III, "Martian soil stratigraphy and rock
coatings observed in color-enhanced Viking Lander images,"
10th Lunar Planet. Sci. Conf
., 3055-3077, 1979.
83. Lange, C., E. Schulze and W. Koch,
84. Banin, A. and J. Rishpon,
"Smectite clays in Mars soil: evidence for their presence and role in
Viking biology experimental results,"
J. Molec. Evol
., 14, 133-152,
85. Banin, A. and L. Margulies,
"Simulation of Viking biology experiments suggests smectites not
palagonite, as martian soil analogs,"
, 305, 523-526,
86. Banin, A., T. Ben-shlomo, L.
Margulies and A.U. Gehring, "Workshop on the Martian Surface and
Atmosphere Through Time," NTIS, Accession No. N92-28990/9/XAB,
88. McKay, C.P., R. L. Mancinelli, C. R. Stoker, and
R. A. Wharton, Jr., "The Possibility of Life on Mars During a Water-Rich
, 1234-1245, Keiffer, H. H., B. M. Jakosky, C. W.
Snyder, M. S. Mathews, eds., U. Ariz. Press, Tucson, 1992.
89. Gratz, A.J., W.J. Nellis and N.A. Hinsey,
"Observations of High-Velocity, Weakly Shocked Ejecta from Experimental
, 363, 522, 1993.
Levin, G.V., letter proposal to W. Boynton, TEGA Experimenter, U.